Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Holy ground

Yesterday all I knew was that I would be "picked" by Jeffrey at 7:00. Eventually it became clear that we were making our way with Guma, Felix and Pastor Steven to another reconciliation village. This one has 110 houses and I think is the original.

What happened throughout the day is called training in restorative justice. I found myself sitting behind the front table while Felix and Steven presented. And present they did. As they talked in their language for four hours I looked out over the group and saw everything from western dress to traditional colorful African costumes. I was looking right into the eyes of a tall fellow who had the bearing of Kevin Garnett. The intensity in his face tended to draw my attention away from the facts that his head bore the scar of impact over its crown in such a way one can imagine a machete striking him full on the scalp. When he stood he did so with the aid of a cane molded to his forearm.

As Felix and Steven led the group, and as translated by Guma in my left ear, the object was in part to help these folks identify how they had been injured, to help them share it with a greater group, and to look to God for healing. Eventually Kevin G stood up and shared his story. I couldn't follow it all but it was as intense as his visage. He was both living with the scars of his suffering and the healing of restoration. He was sitting right next to a Hutu offender who likewise openly shared his story. To be in the same room is astounding. To share the same story on a journey toward reconciliation is no less than supernatural.

The day was filled with many more experiences, including more connections with lovely people, children of all ages, sharing the wit and humor of a mentally disabled member of the community, and riding a local bicycle on invitation of its owner. However, as I reflected upon my experience with Kevin and the others I could only think of how powerful God is. The particulars of the meeting could be moved to anywhere and any time. They could occur in a twelve step meeting or a prayer meeting. They however do require me to open my eyes and see the burning bush. When I do see it it is indeed holy ground and as Moses who saw the bush a few hundred miles from here a few thousand years ago I feel a need to remove my shoes.

I just want to tell you how great it makes me feel to see "followers" and "contributors" on this blog. In a strange way I feel like a journalist reporting back from some far place where interesting and important things are going on. Thanks...you are each a part of my holy ground.

dlm

2 comments:

  1. Thanks, Doug, for reporting from Holy Ground. I cannot imagine what it costs the Rwandans to forgive each other and to be restored. The human heart certainly is not capable on its own of doing that. As you say, only the power of God is strong enough to heal those wounds.

    Blessings,
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Doug and Sue, just wanted to say wow. How cool is this, both you and Sue are so good at capturing your day in wrighting for us. I feel like Im with you when I read it. Thanks for sharing!! Love you guys.

    Jeff

    ReplyDelete