Sunday, May 9, 2010

Rwandan manners and hospitality

Outside the guest house kitchen window, scores of Rwandans walk in the rain. They are nicely dressed, some with high heeled shoes, picking their way through the rocks and mud. Some carry umbrellas, while others seem to ignore the rain. Most of them are conversing, singing, walking arm in arm. They are returning from church, going to celebrate Mother's Day, or just doing their shopping, carrying a dozen eggs in a little holder. The Rwandans seem to love greetings and good byes. They embrace, clasp hands and arms, laugh and make little speeches to each other. One of the residents rode back to Kigali with me Friday evening, and before he exited the car he said several paragraphs of good wishes for my weekend, plenty of rest, greeting for Doug, thanks for my teaching, etc.

Some of the Rwandans I have met have the most remarkable names! The young lady behind the counter at the Butare Hotel Credo was practicing her English with me Friday while I waited for my ride back to Kigali. She told me about her family, how she couldn't afford university, but that her job at the hotel was good. She has enough money to buy "lotions, and clothes" and hopefully someday to move out of her parents house and get married. When I asked her name, she pronounced a Kinyarwanda word, then smiled broadly and said "Peace...my name is Peace." The administrative assistant at the Kigali hospital is named Esperance (Hope), and a man in the grocery store told us proudly that his name is Samuel and his three year old daughter's name is Faith. The "house boy" here at the guest house is Melody. One of the Rwandan anesthesiologists is named Joan of Arc (Jeanne d'Arc) and one of the hospital drivers is named Innocent.

Doug and I found a restaurant about a block away yesterday. It didn't look open, but we walked into their courtyard and nosed around. Several groups of men were having beer, and the TV was on, so we knew they were at least serving drinks. The young people at the bar assured us that indeed we could get good food, and recommended the brochette of goat...we went for a little more familiar fare. Just before the food arrived, a beautiful young woman came with a basin, pitcher of warm water and soap. She poured the water over our hands as we washed. At the end of the meal, she arrived again for the same ceremony! What a refreshing form of hospitality.

I have been studying and trying to think of more relevant and exciting ways to get the teaching points across to the residents. I am hoping to have a more engaged discussion for the lectures tomorrow. The challenges of teaching are humbling. And, the rewards are great. Just thinking back to the resident's departing speech and thanks makes me smile...

No comments:

Post a Comment