Sunday, May 23, 2010

Kigali Peace Marathon

Well...this morning was the time (8:00 am turned into 9:00) and Amahoro (Peace) stadium was the place. Talk about some amazing people all together for an event. The marathon is a brutal course and was conducted at mid day under equatorial sun as it turned out. It is an "out and back" course, each of four legs being a little over 6 miles in length. It is half strongly uphill and half essentially downhill. The Kenyans simply took off and the winner ran the course in 2 hours 2 minutes. They are so beautiful to watch. And they are all great runners. I think I counted 20...all of whom run together and have times in the 2 hours plus area.

For reasons that are not clear to me I was signed up for the full marathon and the rest of my "team" the half marathon. Had I known that was happening I would have made sure I was properly signed up with them. However, it was what it was and bottom line I cut after the half...came in last of my group but had a great time with them. They are so full of life and so appreciative. I would love to attach photos...we have many...but the internet connection here sucks so badly we have not been able to get that function to work. When we get home I'll email some photos of the most handsome group of Rwandans you will likely ever see to anyone interested.

I have had questions about my ability to regain any shape for running again. I think those questions can now be laid to rest. My various surgical sites seem to have held out just fine (thanks, Dr. Tony) and the real question now is getting myself in shape. A truly worthy objective. Bottom line today is it was a tough but wonderful day with great young people. And for those of you like my mom and sister who worried about me, I survived. Thanks for the prayers.

dlm

1 comment:

  1. Bravo! Good job-- you did it.

    Blessings as you bring closure to your time in Rwanda. The game park seems a wonderful way to wind down your Rwandan experience- I will look forward to talking with you and Sue when you get back and get your feet back on the ground.

    ReplyDelete