Friday, May 21, 2010

It's Friday but Sunday's a'commin'

For those of you who have heard the Good Friday sermon It's Friday...but Sunday's a'commin'...you will understand. The rest of you need to go to YouTube and play it. But today is Friday and the Kigali Marathon is Sunday. I guess we'll see what this old body has left in it. The marathon starts at the National Stadium (Amahoro) and goes up and down a hill, around the downtown area and back to the stadium four times. That makes for a relatively uninteresting run except for the people participating.

While waiting in line at the stadioum for my number, etc. I looked around and realized I was in the company of the elite runners. The Kenyons had arrived. I was in a corner flirting with a few Rwandans when one of them came over to introduce himself. You can tell the truly good runners by the way they hold their bodies, the confidence they display in their smile, and their thin, stong bodies. This one fit the part. I asked him where he was from and then said he looked strong and fast. He allowed that was true through an engaging smile. He then told me he had run in Italia, Serbia, Hong Kong, and several other places. I'll probably see him at the front of the pack Sunday running his four minute miles times 26.2. I told him to look for me in last place and he looked me over without saying what was probably in his mind...that I probably was right.

I can't recall the last marathon I participated in but think it might have been the Seattle Goodwill Games which I think was about 22 years ago. Could be interesting. It looks like it is all in place now. The young men who are running with me are excited. This is a very big deal for them and it is an honor and privilege to be a small part of it.

dlm

1 comment:

  1. Doug,

    I'll be running a half marathon the same day and thinking of you.

    Can you figure out how to take a few pictures to post to your website?

    Best of luck to you!!!!

    Patty

    ReplyDelete